Buy me a coffee

https://ko-fi.com/joeshooman

Tuesday 13 January 2015

Men


There are men
Usually men
Mostly men
Not always men

They have guns
Sometimes bombs
Occasionally chemicals
And often nuclear devices

These men
Mostly men
Sometimes women
But that’s exceptional

Have strange thoughts:
Someone is out to get me
Someone else is offending me
The Others Don’t Understand
They must pay
I am right
I have the right
They must pay
Then They Will Understand
Not to offend me
Not to try and get me:
These are their thoughts.

There are intellectuals
Amongst us living
Who say, again,
Again and again,

That this rush to reprisal
Is ineffectual
Right or wrong
It’s simply fun

For beastly men
Hopeless men
Horrible men
To play again.


There are men
Usually men
Mostly men
Not always men

They look up
Sometimes look down
Prostrate themselves
And ask for guidance

These men
And women too
Pray for forgiveness
After the event

Spiritual thoughts like:
The devil is in these people
Their lifestyle offends me
They Will Receive Thine Wrath
I will help
Them see right
By force of right
I will help
They Will Feel My Wrath
Their lifestyle is ugly
The devil will be cast out:
These are my spiritual thoughts.

Heaven-sent
This force of righteousness
From me, to you
And then

Your life sentence
Death in itself
Will throw you down
And chew you up.

These beastly men
Evil men
Deranged men
Just play again.


Am I a man?
Where do I stand?
To be a man?
To have life planned?

I have no book
Commandment free
No magic friend.
All I see

Is me. A man?
I don’t understand
A life prescribed,
Destiny planned.

I have thoughts like:
What am I missing?
Perhaps those men are correct
Perhaps I am missing
Something important
Maybe they’re right
To have the right
To be important
To talk not to listen
To stand, proud and erect
To have a mission:
These are my thoughts.

But I, a man,
I have survived
These barren years, unplanned
Just as a man.

Just as me.
Some good friends.
No demands on me,
A boy. A man.

These words of sand
Are all I can
Offer this land:
I am.

I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment